Depression is defined as low mood accompanied by low self-esteem, and loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities. Mostly diagnosed together with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, depression has afflicted more than 840 million individuals around the world.
Among many countries Pakistan stand in the list of top 10 countries where depression had afflicted more than 20% of population which is more than heart diseases and addiction combined.
According to a survey of Aga Khan University it is estimated that 80% of suicides in Pakistan are being committed due to depression.
Many reasons can cause depression, in Pakistan however most of them are stressful life events e.g.
- Breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend
- Failing a class
- Death or illness of someone close to you
- Childhood abuse or neglect
- Job loss
- Social isolation by friends/family
Depression can be easily prevented by your fellow friends & family members but most of the symptoms are just neglected due to the thinking which has been developed among us.
I will state some of the symptoms and then state the thinking “we have developed”.
- Agitation, restlessness, and irritability (Let him go if he wants to go, why are you bothering?)
- Dramatic change in appetite (Yaar I don’t feel like eating. Ok its your choice! We are going with you!)
- Very difficult to concentrate (Yaar let us study together, he just don’t want to study so why are you wasting your time making him study?)
- Fatigue and lack of energy (He is always bore & slow. Leave him we will go together.)
- Becoming withdrawn or isolated (No one bothers to come to you if you have isolated yourselves.)
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities that were once enjoyed. (He is changed now lets find new friends.)
- Thoughts of death or suicide (LOL, seriously dude will you suicide? Its filmy thing you know.)
- Trouble sleeping or excessive sleeping (Covering up sleeplessness by watching movies & hanging out with friends)
How can we stop all this? My suggestions are:
- Eat healthy food & sleep well.
- Control your bad thinking.
- Care for your loved ones; behaviors they are showing are something that’s happening in their lives, help them if you can.
- Stop bad behavior with others.
- Expand you social circles (I think one good real life caring friend is far superior to 500 Facebook friends who only like your status updates).
- Develop your interests & do what you like.