Artificial teeth are an important part of denture. They are used when patients own teeth needs replacement.
Requirements For Good Artificial Teeth:
- They should have good appearance.
- They should be indistinguishable from natural teeth in shape, colour and translucency.
- Good attachment between the artificial teeth and denture base.
- Artificial tooth and base material should be compatible i.e. introduction of artificial teeth into the base should not affect the base material.
- Should be of low density in order that they do not increase the weight of denture unduly.
- Artificial teeth should be strong and tough to resist fracture.
- Hard enough to resist abrasive forces in mouth during cleaning.
- They should allow grinding with a dental bur so that adjustments to the occlusion can be made by dentists at the side chair.
Cite this article as: Editorial Staff, "Requirements for Artificial Teeth," in Medicalopedia, July 15, 2012, [Permalink: https://www.medicalopedia.org/2926/requirements-of-artificial-teeth/].