Snoring is a much-ridiculed problem that people face, not knowing how harrowing it can be for sufferers and their loved ones. A person’s entire sleep cycle could be disrupted, leaving him or her groggy and unproductive the next day. Their loved ones are affected in the same way too, and this can lead to strained relations in the long run. The usual advice is to get a good night’s sleep, relax before sleeping, but this generic advice is ineffective for chronic sufferers who have deep-seated problems. Medical attention provides the most effective relief from this condition, but sometimes one needs to supplement it with external aids and natural remedies which aid in procuring elusive relief. Detailed below are some measures a patient of snoring could adopt to finally get the peaceful sleep that has been eluding him or her for so long.
- Snoring is often the result of blocked nasal passages, and there are many snoring aids that can prove effective in cases such as these. Usually, they are implements that fit easily into the nasal passage and unblock the passage, like the max-air nose cones. There are a number of products such as these that unblock nasal passages that fit a wide variety of price points.
- Another commercially available product is the nasal strip, which is more widely known and widely available. These open the nostrils wider, reducing snoring extremely effectively. Throat sprays are something you could use in conjunction with this for added relief in cases where the root cause stems from places other than the nose.
- In many cases, the root cause of sleep apnea stems from the position of the jaw. Devices called mandibular adjustment devices, or MADs for short, reposition a patient’s jaw to make airflow easier.
- Patients who don’t find relief using these methods can turn to alternative medicine, and alternative methods of treatment. Essential oils are a great way to find relief, and patients have reported good results with using these. Patients can use either diffuser to take their medicine, or sprinkle a few drops on their pillow. Recommended oils are Lavender, Valerian, Vetiver, Roman Chamomile, Sandalwood and Marjoram.
- Ingesting herbs is another effective method. Herbs are packed with essential oils and other enzymes that have a variety of health benefits. Also, eating is more effective than smelling as a way of internalizing medicine. Herbs like cayenne pepper, sage, mints like spearmint and peppermint and the unusual asthma weed are a great starting point on this journey.
- Changing some bad habits could significantly reduce the intensity of a patient’s condition. Patients are advised to maintain a healthy diet, stay more or less within recommended body weight and to cut back on smoking. Antihistamines are effective in cases where snoring is brought on by an allergy.
- Finally, there are many cases of snoring that cannot be helped by external methods. Cases where internal structural qualities or defects are the root cause of snoring can only be fixed by invasive surgery. It is always a good step to speak to your doctor before starting any sort of medical relief program.