E-counseling has become more and more popular in recent years. Due to the advent of technologies such as computers, the Internet, and cell phones, it is no longer required that we seek help with counselors and therapists in person to find assistance with our mental health problems.
Many people are unfamiliar with the term e-counseling and what it entails. In this article, we’re going to explain why e-counseling has become so popular, and outline some of the benefits associated with this particular type of therapy.
What is E-Counseling?
E-counseling, also known as online counseling, is a form of therapy that allows people to access therapists and counselors over the Internet. There are a number of ways that someone can access counseling online:
- Webcam chats or FaceTime. This is one of the
most popular ways that people participate in e-counseling because it allows
them to actually interact with their counselors on a face-to-face basis. Webcam
chats and FaceTime conversations allow people to converse with their therapists
in real time.
- Instant message therapy. Instant message
therapy allows people to communicate with licensed therapists via one of the
many instant message platforms available online. Some e-counseling sites offer
their own messaging systems, and others will link you up to a counselor via
Facebook or another form of instant messaging.
- Telephone calls. Telephone therapy has been
available for quite some time, but with the advent of e-counseling it has
become much more accessible. Some counseling sites will hook you up with the
phone numbers of their counselors, so you can communicate with them easily.
- Group chats. Chat rooms are a great way for people with similar problems to help them manage their issues together. Counselors will usually be present in the chat rooms, but sometimes chat rooms are available for people struggling with mental issues to share problems with each other. Group chats are particularly popular with youth.
Benefits of E-Counseling
There are a number of things that make e-counseling attractive to people. These are some of the reasons that e-counseling has become one of the most popular methods of therapeutic counseling.
- It’s accessible. Some people aren’t able to
access therapy for a number of reasons. They may not have access to one in
their local area, or they may not have a vehicle to get them to one.
E-counseling is useful because it helps people access therapy when they
otherwise might not be able to.
- It’s cheap. E-counseling is often a lot more
affordable than traditional counseling methods. You can find e-counseling with
certified therapists for as little as $30/ month.
- There’s no stigma. Many people are apprehensive about seeking help for mental health problems because of the stigma associated with it. In the case of e-counseling, you can seek help from the comfort of your own home.
These are just a few of the reasons that people might find e-counseling a more appropriate option than traditional counseling.
E-counseling is a popular new method of therapy that blends modern technology with traditional therapeutic methods. It is appealing for many people, particularly the younger generation, because it’s more accessible and often more affordable.
Hopefully this article has helped you better understand the concept of e-therapy. Good luck and happy healing!