A number of countries around the world have become veritable medical tourism destinations, and Thailand is one of them. In 2015 alone, Thailand Hospitals had already attracted around 2.81 million patients from different countries around the globe. However, Thailand medical tourism has a long history and got a great boost when Thailand became the first Asian Country to have Joint Commission International (JCI) accreditation in 2002. As of 2014, for example, 35 Thailand hospitals had already been JCI-accredited. In fact, even as early as 2006, one of the international hospitals of Thailand—the Bumrungrad International Hospital—had already been mentioned by international press as a veritable medical tourism destination.
Reasons behind the Flourishing of Thailand Medical Tourism
There are several reasons that contribute to the gradual growth in Thailand medical industry, and some of these reasons include the following:
- Thailand’s government and private sector’s continuous investments in healthcare infrastructure
- Thailand hospitals continuous commitment to international accreditation, transparency of outcomes, and quality assurance
- Thailand’s political transparency and stability
- Thailand’s sustained reputation for medical and clinical excellence
- Many Thailand-based Hospitals successfully incorporated the best medical practices
- State-of-the-art Medical Thailand Hospitals’ facilities, technology and medical devices.
- Availability of experienced and internationally-trained medical staff in Thailand.
Top Five Leading Thailand Medical Tourism Hospitals
If you’re one of those tourists who would like to visit Thailand for medical reasons, you would basically need to be cognizant of the leading private hospitals in Thailand that are equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic, therapeutic, and intensive care facilities. Five of these leading hospitals are the following:
- Bumrungrad International Hospital boasts of its state-of-the-art medical facilities and the most popular medical destination in Thailand.
- Bangkok Hospital that specializes in medical tourism with its cutting-edge medical technology and equipment.
- Siriraj Hospital which is known as the oldest as well as the largest hospital in the city
- Yanhee General Hospital whose focus is in general medicine but has been recently increasingly known for cosmetic surgery.
- Samitivej Hospital which is known for its state-of-the-art equipment and specialties.
Affordable Hospitals Thailand-based Medical Treatments
One of the biggest draws of Thailand-based hospitalsis the affordable but excellent medical services and facilities in Thailand. Compared with the costs of medical treatments and services from other countries, the costs of medical treatments in Thailand belong to the lowest in the field. Yet, despite Thailand’s low medical costs, Thailand’s medical services and standards remain among the highest in the field. In fact, you can easily avail of the latest medical equipment and facilities in Thailand at the most affordable prices. A heart bypass surgery in Thailand, for example, may cost $26,000, compared to that of the medical bypass procedure done in the US which would usually amount to $144,000.
Top Thailand Doctor’s List in Reconstructive Surgery
The top Thailand doctor’s list is continuously growing owing to the fact that many doctors in Thailand are aware of the need for specialties in the medical fields that cater to medical tourism, specifically in the field of plastic and reconstructive surgery. The following doctors belong to Thailand doctor’s List of top plastic and reconstructive surgeons:
- Dr. Boonchai Thanyalakpark, Yanhee Hospital
- Dr. Chakarin Banchongkit, KTOP Clinic
- Dr. Bhumsak Saksri
- Dr. Krittiporn Pengsuk, Nirunda International Aesthetic Center
- Dr. Greechart Pornsinsirisak, Yanhee Hospital
- Dr. Chatchai Pruksapong
- Dr. Tanongsak Panyawirunroj
- Dr. Janunya Sampantarut
- Dr. Parin Tatsanavivat, Kamol Hospital
- Dr.Akaradech Attainsee, Kamol Hospital
A comprehensive Thailand doctors list can be found here