Hernia mesh is a medical term that is slowly gaining much popularity today, both for positive and negative reasons. The term hernia mesh refers to a particular medical device that is inserted in the body to fix the area where the intestine, a fatty tissue, or an internal organ has bulged through a hole. Although this hernia mesh has been used for many years now in the medical world, there have been a lot of accounts of the same device failing. This article gives you more details about hernia mesh issues, hernia mesh lawsuit complaints, and everything else you need to know to keep yourself up-to-date.
Hernia surgeries do not all lead to needing hernia mesh implants.
If you need a hernia surgery, this article is not to scare you, though, as not all operations related to all types of hernia will require a hernia mesh. However, a higher percentage or the majority of hernia patients have already been prescribed with the need of a hernia mesh implants. This type of device is needed for the following types of hernia cases:
- Inguinal hernia, which begins by weakness in the groin area, which leads to abdominal content flowing through the inguinal canal, which can lead to extreme discomfort and pain.
- Ventral hernia, which begins by pushing a weak area of your abdominal wall.
- Incisional hernia, which begins by previously having had a surgical incision that causes the organ or tissue to reopen or bulge through the same.
Hernia mesh complications or injuries have symptoms that can help you diagnose it earlier.
Just as is the case with any other medical condition, the earlier you can diagnose the same, the better. Success rates of cure are usually higher when the injuries are still in the earlier stages. Complications arising due to hernia mesh implants have symptoms like the following:
- High fever or chills, or persistent flu-like symptoms
- Severe pain at the surgical site
- Stiffness or tenderness around your abdominal area
- Difficulty urinating and passing stool
- Nausea or vomiting
If you experience any of the symptoms above after having a hernia mesh implanted inside you, then it is best for you to go and see your doctor immediately.
Hernia mesh implant failures or injuries are common.
It is not a relatively foreign or new idea to conclude that hernia mesh implants are quite common. There have been numerous accounts of patients complaining about discomfort and pain brought about by hernia mesh. Remember that it is still considered as a foreign device by your body, and that it is not a natural part of your body. Hence, in time, your body may be bound to reject this implant. Here are some of the common injuries lamented by patients:
- Abdominal pain
- Bowel obstruction
- Groin and testicular pain
- Perforation of nearby organs and tissues
- Recurrence of hernia
Hernia mesh implants are made out of polypropylene.
Polypropylene is a thermoplastic polymer product that is used in many plastic products today, including plastic bottles, piping systems, and medical or laboratory equipment, such as hernia mesh. This material is what forms the basic composition of new hernia meshes on the market today. To safely apply this plastic product inside the body, it is coated with fatty tissues or fatty acids, collagen and cellulose, to mimic a body part as well as possible so that it can blend effortlessly with the intestines and other organs.
Hernia mesh injuries entitle you to file a lawsuit.
Yes, if you are one of the unfortunate ones to have hernia injuries or complications related to the same, the comforting news is that you can file a lawsuit. Filing a lawsuit is the best way for you to be assertive of your rights due to any damage that the hernia mesh may have done to you and your body.
You are entitled to file a lawsuit for as long as the following four elements exist:
- You were owed a duty of care
- This duty of care was breached due to an action done to you
- You sustained injuries, and these injuries are directly and proximately caused by this breach of a duty of care
- The injuries you suffered can be quantified monetarily
Your hernia mesh lawyer, or personal injury lawyer, can help assist you better with studying your case and proving that you satisfy all of these four elements.
Hernia mesh injury lawsuits are usually filed against the manufacturer.
In most cases of hernia mesh injury, the liable party is the manufacturer. This fact is especially true if it is proven and shown that the hernia mesh was defective. Most hernia mesh products, however, are generally safe. Hence, it is only when you encounter any adverse effects in your body after you have used a hernia mesh that you can start building up your case, and to also check if the hernia mesh was indeed defective.
The doctor can only be held liable if it can be proven that your injuries sustained are not due to a defective hernia mesh, but is a result of the negligence of the doctor during your procedure.
Hernia mesh injuries can allow the patient to claim for compensatory damages.
Because of the numerous accounts of hernia mesh failures, it also is not uncommon that a lot of patients have already filed lawsuits for the same. When you, or any family member files for your hernia mesh injuries, you are allowed to claim compensatory damages. Compensatory damage refers to the following:
- Punitive damages, which you can file against the manufacturer of your hernia mesh, also to prevent them from manufacturing the same for other patients
- Economic losses, which you can file for lost wages and earning capacity for the time being that the patient got sick, medical bills, and other costs
- Non-economic damages, which refer to the moral damages such as your sleepless nights, pain, loss of enjoyment, mental anxiety, and the like
If you feel that you or a family member is the right candidate for this lawsuit, then do not be afraid to be assertive of your rights. You are entitled to compensation for the damages caused to your body, your lost wages, and other adverse effects in your life that are necessarily related to the failed hernia mesh implant. To help you get the best positive outcome out of this negative problem, be sure that you put your trust in the right lawyer who can help you with the same. This guide can also effectively help you rise above the negative effects that your hernia mesh implant may have caused you.