The interest in using natural remedies has drastically increased in the last several years. People have realized that natural products are all we need to be healthy. So, they have turned to alternative medicine and embraced the power of their medicines.
With Ayurveda being one of the most used practices, a lot of people started using herbs and plants to improve their overall health. Apart from turmeric, holy basil, cinnamon, and garlic, people also use ashwagandha. The ashwagandha wirkung (meaning “impact”) is the reason why this plant has become the most used natural remedy among people.
According to what is known, ashwagandha can help reduce stress, improve the immune system, improve heart health, increase strength, and so on. There are plenty of health benefits of this plant and many of them have been backed up by science. But, how can you use ashwagandha? In what form can you find it? Let’s find out.
Types of Ashwagandha Products and How to Use Them
In India, some countries in the Middle East, and parts of Africa use ashwagandha fresh. To be more precise, they mostly use the roots but also the leaves, and the berries it produces. The part(s) of the plant being used depends on the remedy being made. For instance, if you prepare ashwagandha tonic, you need the root and the leaves. But, if you prepare ashwagandha ghee/ghrita, you need only the root.
Apart from using it fresh, you can buy it in the form of a supplement. There are capsules, tinctures, and powder available on the market, so you can choose the one that suits you the most. That being said, capsules are very convenient to use because you don’t need anything but water to drink them with. Similarly, the tinctures are easy to consume and have an almost immediate effect due to being directly absorbed by the body.
However, if you really want to make the most of it, you should consider the powder over the capsules and tinctures. It’s because you can use the powder in many recipes, to make different remedies. So, let’s check out the 5 best recipes.
Ashwagandha Ghee/Ghrita – To Improve the Immune System and Fertility
- 800ml milk (boiled)
- 100g cow ghee
- 10g ashwagandha powder
* Before we continue with the instructions, note that you should stir throughout the preparation process.
- Heat the ghee for 20 seconds in a wide-mouthed vessel.
- Mix the powder with water to make bolus.
- Add the bolus to the ghee and add milk.
- Heat the mixture until the water evaporates.
- Filter the mixture so you end up with the ghee.
Ashwagandha Tea – To Relax
- Half glass of water
- Half glass of milk
- 1 g ashwagandha powder
- Sugar, as preferred
- Add water and milk in a pan. Then, add the powder.
- Heat the mixture to boil.
- When it reduces to half, remove it from the heat, put it aside, and let it cool.
- Once cool, add sugar.
Ashwagandha Moon Milk – To Sleep Better
- 1 tbsp ashwagandha powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 1 tbsp sweetener
- 1 tbsp edible rose petals (optional)
- Pour 2 cups milk in a big non-stick pan and heat the pan for a minute.
- In a small cup, add the ashwagandha and turmeric powder and 2 tbsp water and whisk to make a paste.
- Add the paste to the milk.
- Add cinnamon and sweetener.
- Whisk the mixture until everything is well-incorporated.
- Simmer the mixture on low heat for 4 minutes.
- Then, increase the heat to high and after the first boil, turn it off.
- Whisk again.
- Pour the mixture into 2 cups and decorate it with rose petals.
Ashwagandha Late – To Balance Your Hormones
- 1 cup of plant-based milk
- 1 tsp ashwagandha powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Heat the milk carefully but don’t bring it to a boil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Drink it about an hour before going to bed.
Ashwagandha Smoothie – To Improve Your Energy and Libido
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1/4 cup of raw almond butter
- 1/8 cup of virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp ashwagandha powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
As you can see, ashwagandha powder can be used in many ways. Apart from these 5 recipes, you can also use it to make cookies, no-bake balls, baked goods, or simply add it to your juice, tea, or smoothie. Regardless of how you use it, ashwagandha will provide you with all of its benefits and help improve your overall health.