Few skin products have taken the skincare industry by storm like hemp oil. In fact, if you look carefully, it is everywhere: lip balms, body lotions, masks, bath salts, sunscreens, moisturizers and more. The question is: how do you use it to get effective results? Well, here are the best practices for using hemp oil on your skin.
- Choose The Right Hemp Oil Product
To choose the right hemp oil products for your skin, there are a few factors that you need to keep in mind:
- Check Ingredient Listings: Some manufacturers will only put a small amount of hemp oil on their skin products to market them as the trendy “hemp” product. Ensure that the amount of hemp that a manufacturer claims to be contained in a product has been certified by third-party labs and other relevant bodies.
- Know Your Skincare Goals: Don’t just choose a product because it contains hemp oil. You should also consider the benefits that the skin product is designed to give and see if they are aligned with your skincare needs. If you have a dry skin problem, for instance, it is best to go for a product with moisturizing effects than a lighting lotion.
- Other Ingredients Also Matter: Other ingredients in the product you are about to purchase have a role to play on the product’s functions. If you want a moisturizer, for instance, a product that contains hyaluronic acid will be more beneficial. And for anti-aging, glycolic acid can be a good addition.
- Rinse your skin before applying the oil
We come with a ton of invisible bacteria and contaminants that tend to adhere to our skin. So, before you apply hemp oil on your skin, it is recommended to give yourself a quick rinse. This doesn’t mean that you have to take a bath—you can just use a moist washcloth or towel to scrub the areas you want to apply the oil on. The goal is to remove any unwanted particles from your skin. Ensure that your skin is dry before the hemp oil.
- Beware of the side effects
Hemp oil doesn’t have major side effects, but your skin may be sensitive to other ingredients contained in the hemp oil product like preservatives or additives. So, when you are trying new hemp oil for the first time, be on the lookout for potential side effects like itching, irritation, burning sensation, or rashes. If you notice any discomfort, stop using the product and contact a dermatologist, especially if the side effect doesn’t improve after a few days.
- Tinctures and Orals May Enhance Your Results
Besides topical, you can enhance the effects of hemp oil on your skin by ingesting the oil. By taking capsules or tinctures, you will be putting the hemp oil directly into your system, which can go a long way in addressing the root cause of the skin issue. Taking hemp oil orally may also:
- Help thin your blood, reducing the appearance of varicose veins
- Reduce inflammation, which may manifest in skin issues
- Improve your heart health
- Reduce anxiety and help you calm down
There are many benefits of taking hemp oil orally but to get the best results for niggling skin conditions like eczema, it is advisable to combine the tincture with topical creams. The cream will give you immediate relief while the tincture or capsule goes to eliminate the root cause of the problem.
- Have Realistic Expectation
Hemp oil is not a magic cure but may provide a lot of benefits to your skin. Don’t expect old war wounds or lifetime eczema to clear the next day. Instead, expect to see results after several weeks or months of using the oil. You should also be ready for side effects as well as mild sensations depending on the concentration of the soothing ingredients in the hemp oil product. Just like other skin care products, hemp oil may not cure certain skin conditions but may make them more bearable.
Hemp oil is a great addition to your skincare regimen but it shouldn’t be treated as a miracle cure not a substitute for doctor’s care. If anything, more research is still being done on how hemp oil reacts or works on the skin. While preliminary results are quite fascinating, more research needs to be done to ascertain some claims. Hopefully, taking the above tips into consideration when using hemp oil will help you get the most out of this amazing oil.