With the SARS-like virus spreading worldwide, it’s more imperative than ever to ensure that our immune system is at its best. Adequate sleep, regular exercise, and balanced nutrition are proven immune-boosters.
However, research is inferring that a visit to a chiropractor is a must for boosting the immune system. Chiropractic care and adjustments can help our body resist bacteria or viruses through the proactive immune defense.
Unlike taking a pill to combat a virus or cold symptoms, chiropractic care treats the underlying cause and boosts the immune system. Thus, preventing the bacterial or viral infection from taking root.
Common Problems With The Immune System
The primary role of the immune system is to fight and safeguard our bodies against viruses and infectious organisms. The immune system consists of cells, organs, tissues, and proteins that work together to keep us in our best condition.
Although the immune system protects our bodies, every so often, it might not work correctly and have issues. The following are some of the reasons why our immune system is not working correctly:
- Immunodeficiency disorders: These conditions are genetically passed along in families. There are nearly one hundred immunodeficiency disorders that stop the immune system from functioning correctly.
- Cancer: Myeloma, lymphoma, leukemia are certain types of cancer that impact the immune system. These cancer types come about when immune cells develop overwhelmingly.
- Autoimmune disorders: This occurs when the immune system incorrectly assaults the healthy cells.
- Allergic disorders: The immune system initiates a response when the body reacts to a certain substance. Allergic reactions can vary from severe (death and breathing problems) to mild (stuffy nose or sneezing).
- HIV: This disease weakens the immune system and can lead to severe illness.
- Sepsis: This disorder is an uncontrollable response of the immune system to a bacterial or viral infection. The response can potentially lead to organ failure, organ damage, and death. Also, it prompts extensive inflammation spread.
- Medications: Corticosteroids and some other medicines can weaken your body’s immune system.
Your Immune System And Your Spine
Nerve waves that come from the brain move down your spine and into other body parts. If, for instance, the spine is off-course, these nerve waves will not work correctly. Misalignments, compressions, and disruptions can be brought on by strained muscle ligaments, herniated discs, and pinched nerves.
Keeping these pathways uncontaminated is important to maintaining your health. With that said, it’s safe to say that the immune system and the nervous system are intertwined. When one system is not functioning properly, the other system gets affected.
A stable and strong spine means an immune system that:
- Prevents illnesses
- Quickens recovery times
- Combats illnesses
People with compromised immune systems are more likely to experience severe symptoms and frequent infections. Aso, they might be more susceptible to conditions like pneumonia. What’s more, anxiety and stress, when prolonged, can damage the immune system and can slow down the healing from injury or disease.
Fortunately, chiropractors, like Perth Chiro Centre, can help those people with weak immune systems to better manage stress more healthily through spine alignment. Keep in mind that the spine supports the nervous system wherein nerve signals traverse between the brain and other parts of the body.
So, what can a chiropractor do? These health care professionals can help alleviate muscle tension. Take note that muscle tension can lead to misaligned spinal columns and nerve irritation. Another thing, chiropractic care can improve blood circulation and cut down spinal nerve irritation.
Moreover, chiropractors will administer digital X-ray scans and nerve testing. If a misalignment or upper cervical injury is diagnosed, a chiropractor will conduct spine adjustment and other types of care.
This care will help reconstruct the communication channel between your central nervous system and immune system. Also, it will promote a healing process in the body. Chiropractors know your spine much better than you do and can authorize treatments to open up and enhance nerve pathways, such as:
- Changes in lifestyle including stress-busting and sleep techniques
- Nutritional supplements
- Exercise programs to bolster key muscle groups
- Antioxidant-rich diet
- Regular spinal adjustments
A lot of studies have shown that chiropractic care can have a conclusive effect on the immune system. As a matter of fact, a study conducted by the New York Medicine Institute demonstrated that chiropractic patients had stronger immune systems than those who did not receive chiropractic treatment.
Additionally, chiropractic was found to be a holistic and natural approach to enhancing long-term health.
During this time, when our health is at high-risk, boosting the immune system becomes more important than ever. There are many different ways or techniques that you can do to boost your immunity, and one of them is chiropractic care. Regular chiropractic care can eliminate the source of your pains and allow you to be more flexible, even as you age.